Philippine troops repel Maoist rebel attack, 12 dead

By REUTERS
August 1, 2011 12:48

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

MANILA - Philippine soldiers repulsed a Maoist rebel attack in a remote village on a restive southern island, killing a dozen guerrillas, in the latest incident in an upsurge of rebel activities in the last month, an army spokesman said on Monday.

A member of a local militia unit was also killed when about 100 New People's Army (NPA) rebels descended on Sunday in Agusan del Sur province on the southern island of Mindanao, Major Eugenio Osias said.

"They were foraging for food and were forcing residents to join the rebel movement. But a handful of militiamen put up a fight, engaging the guerrillas in an hour-long battle," Osias told reporters.

Troops, backed by helicopters, reinforced the militiamen, forcing the Maoist rebels to withdraw. Soldiers found at least a dozen bodies in the village.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 18, 2018
Jerusalem Post closed for Yom Kippur

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF