Philippines' Duterte fires interior minister over corruption allegations

By REUTERS
April 4, 2017 06:05
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

MANILA - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has fired his interior minister for "loss of trust and confidence", the most senior government executive to be removed for corruption issues, two Cabinet officials said on Tuesday.

The firebrand Duterte came to power 10 months ago on a platform of fighting drugs, crime and corruption to grow the economy. He has removed dozens of bureaucrats, two senior immigration officials and a former campaign spokesman from positions on corruption issue.

"Duterte has dismissed Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary, Mr. Ismael Sueno, citing loss of trust and confidence," presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella said in a statement, adding the sacking serves as a warning to all other presidential appointees.

Duterte made the announcement at the end of a cabinet meeting on Monday night, he said.

"The secretary had, in fact, been instrumental in convincing the president to run for election, but this did not deter the president from pursuing his drive for a trustworthy government by addressing issues like corruption," said the spokesman.

Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre in a radio interview also confirmed the dismissal of Sueno from the Cabinet but did not give any reason for the president's decision.

In February, Sueno helped organized a pro-Duterte rally, where more than 200,000 people attended, to counter a mass protest denouncing allegations of extra-judicial killings under Duterte's anti-narcotics campaign.

There had been rumors about Sueno's unexplained acquisition of properties, including sudden improvements in his farm in the south. He denied any wrongdoing, insisting the properties were owned by a brother.

Three of Sueno's deputies had written to Duterte complaining about his activities.

Sueno was the second minister to be forced out the Cabinet, with lawmakers earlier rejecting the appointment of foreign minister Perfecto Yasay on citizenship issue.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 21, 2018
Incendiary balloons cause 2 fire incidents in the Negev

By JPOST.COM STAFF