Philippines says any US move against Beijing in S China Sea would be in its own interest

By REUTERS
January 13, 2017 12:19

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

The Philippine foreign minister on Friday said any future action by the United States to drive China from its artificial islands in the South China Sea would be its own prerogative, and in its own national interests.

Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay was responding to a question during a television interview about comments by US Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson, who said China should be denied access to the islands it has built in disputed territory.

"They said that they would prevent China from doing or undertaking these kind of activity. If it wants to do that, they have the force to do so, let them do it," Yasay said, referring to Tillerson's remarks on Wednesday to US senators.

China has built several artificial islands in the exclusive economic zone of the Philippines, which an arbitration tribunal last year ruled unlawful.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 25, 2018
Israeli security forces arrest 16 Palestinians in the West Bank

By JPOST.COM STAFF