Port official: S. Korea seized suspected N. Korean cargo containers

Port official S. Korea

By
October 5, 2009 09:08

South Korea seized four containers from a Panama-registered ship last month on suspicion it could be carrying banned North Korean cargo, a port official said Monday. The customs officials at South Korea's southeastern port of Busan found "nothing special" inside the containers, which were seized from the ship Sept. 22 at the request of the National Intelligence Service, the country's main spy agency, said an official at Busan Port Authority. Yonhap news agency, citing an unidentified government source, said authorities found some kinds of protective clothing, which were held by South Korea for further investigation. The ship, which came from the eastern Chinese port of Tianjin, was allowed to leave for another eastern Chinese port, Ningbo, on Sept. 23, said another port official. Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 28, 2018
S.Korea's Moon calls for more impromptu talks with N.Korea

By REUTERS