Pyongyang gives S. Koreans 72 hours to leave joint resort

By REUTERS
August 22, 2011 05:08

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

SEOUL - Reclusive North Korea on Monday gave South Koreans working at a jointly run tourism resort 72 hours to leave, saying time had run out to resolve a dispute over what was once a symbol of cooperation between the rival Koreas.

The Mount Kumgang resort had been closed since a North Korean soldier shot a South Korean tourist there in 2008, drying up a lucrative source of hard currency for the North.

After months of threats and counter-threats from both sides, Pyongyang said it would now "legally dispose" of South Korean assets from the resort after Seoul failed to meet Friday's final deadline to agree on asset disposal.

Fourteen South Koreans were listed as being at the east coast resort as of Monday, South Korea's Unification Ministry website said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 15, 2018
Hanegbi apologizes for 'attacks on south are minor' comments

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF