Rabbi Eliahu takes turn for the worse

February 7, 2010 16:04


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Former Sephardi chief rabbi Mordechai Eliahu is in serious condition at Jerusalem’s Shaare Zedek Medical Center, where he has spent much of the last two years, on and off. He took a turn for the worse in the last few days. Although he had been treated for a heart attack and stroke there and went into clinical death and was revived, his current problem does not involve either of those but a different internal condition, The Jerusalem Post learned on Sunday. He has not lost consciousness.

The 82-year-old rabbi, who remains a spiritual leader for modern Orthodox Israelis, especially the young, is being treated in the hospital’s intensive care unit. His family asked that prayers be said for him at the grave of Rabbi Haim Yosef David Azulai in the Givat Shaul cemetery.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 19, 2018
Report: Skripal Novichok poisoning suspects identified