Romanian nightclub fire sends dozens to hospitals

By REUTERS
January 21, 2017 11:49

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A fire broke out in a nightclub in the Romanian capital Bucharest early on Saturday morning, resulting in more than 40 people being taken to hospital.

No deaths were reported. Doctors said one person was in serious condition, while most of the victims suffered from smoke inhalation and hypothermia. Some had bone fractures, doctors said, indicating they had panicked and jumped from an upper floor terrace.

The cause of the fire, which broke out at around 3.30 a.m. and burned the Bamboo club to the ground, was still unknown. Prosecutors have opened an investigation.

The unit for emergency situations (ISU) said the club lacked a fire safety permit and that it had been fined several times since 2015. Officials had given club owners a deadline of a few months to obtain the required permit.

The Israeli Foreign Ministry reported Israeli citizens were hospitalized due to smoke inhalation but are not in a critical condition, Channel 2 Israel reported.

Bamboo previously burnt down in 2005.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 18, 2018
Erdogan to challenge those playing 'games' with economy

By REUTERS