Russia says Islamic State launches second assault on Syria's Palmyra

By REUTERS
December 11, 2016 14:51

MOSCOW - More than 4,000 Islamic State militants have regrouped and launched a second attack to try to recapture the ancient city of Palmyra, Russian news agencies cited Russia's monitoring center in Syria as saying on Sunday.

"Despite heavy losses in manpower and equipment, the terrorists are trying as hard as possible to secure a foothold inside the city," Interfax quoted a statement from the center as saying. "Syrian troops are fighting to defend Palmyra."

The center said Islamic State was drawing on "significant forces" from its strongholds in Raqqa and Deir al Zor.

Earlier on Sunday, a news agency affiliated with the militants and a Britain-based monitoring group said Islamic State recaptured Palmyra after briefly retreating in the face of heavy Russian air strikes.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 23, 2018
Iconic Jewish-American author Philip Roth dies at 85

By REUTERS