UNITED NATIONS - Russia failed to persuade the UN Security Council on Thursday to demand an investigation into reports that dozens of civilians may have been killed by NATO air strikes during Libya's civil war, UN envoys said.
Russian UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin told reporters after a closed-door meeting of the 15-nation Security Council that there was no consensus on his request.
Reuters reported last week that Human Rights Watch and another group estimated that over 50 civilians may have been killed by NATO air strikes during the alliance's eight-month military operation, according to their investigations.
US Ambassador Susan Rice dismissed Churkin's request,
saying a new investigation was unnecessary given that there were
two independent inquiries underway in Libya - one set up by the
UN Human Rights Council and the other by the International
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>