S. Sudan blames Khartoum for 200 killed in rebel attack

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
February 15, 2011 14:10

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

JUBA, Sudan — Political leaders in Southern Sudan on Tuesday angrily accused Sudan's Khartoum-based government of arming a rebel leader they say killed more than 200 southerners last week, a charge that could increase north-south tensions as the south prepares for independence.

Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management James Kok Ruea labeled last week's attack by rebel leader George Athor a "massacre."

Ruea said 201 southern civilians and security forces died during the attack in Jonglei state and that 10 died later in the hospital. He said nearly 160 of the dead were civilians, including children, the elderly and the internally displaced.

"They were chased into the river. I was the one who put them into a mass grave," an emotional sounding Ruea told The Associated Press.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
At least 19 killed by Islamists in village in northeast Nigeria

By REUTERS