Saudi Arabia warns women not to join protest against driving ban

By REUTERS
October 23, 2014 17:04

RIYADH - Saudi Arabia's Interior Ministry on Thursday issued a warning to women not to get behind the wheel in defiance of the kingdom's men-only road rules after a renewed social media campaign to challenge the law by driving in public.

The announcement comes ahead of the anniversary on Oct. 26 of a demonstration last year in which dozens of Saudi women said they had taken to the road in protest at the ban on female drivers, leading to some arrests.In recent weeks, campaigners have been pushing on social media for women to drive themselves and post pictures or films online, as they did in the run-up to last year's protest.


Related Content

Breaking news
September 19, 2019
Pompeo says U.S. supports Saudi Arabia's right to defend itself

By REUTERS