Saudi foreign minister says Syria's Assad should leave sooner, not later

By REUTERS
March 5, 2016 16:54
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said on Saturday that Syrian President Bashar Assad must leave at the beginning of a political transition, not at the end.

"For us it is very clear it's at the beginning of the process, not at the end of the process, it's not going to be 18 months," Jubeir said during a visit to France.

His comments came days before the United Nations plans to reconvene peace talks to try to end the five-year-old civil war in Syria.

The United States and other Western governments that were previously calling for Assad's early departure have quietly backed away from that demand as his position has been strengthened by Russia's military involvement in Syria since last September.
Jubeir also said Saudi Arabia will take delivery of French arms it originally ordered for Lebanon.

In February, Saudi Arabia suspended a $3 billion aid package for the Lebanese army in response to Beirut's failure to condemn attacks on Saudi diplomatic missions in Iran.

"We made the decision that we will stop the $3 billion from going to the Lebanese military and instead they will be rediverted to the Saudi military," Jubeir told journalists during a visit in Paris.

“So the contracts (with France) will be completed but the clients will be the Saudi military.”

Related Content

Breaking news
July 23, 2018
IDF to carry out pre-planned military exercise near Gaza border

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF