Saudi-led coalition launches air strikes on Yemeni capital

By REUTERS
January 20, 2019 10:03
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

ADEN/SANAA - A Saudi-led coalition launched several air strikes on Yemen's Houthi-held capital Sanaa overnight, stoking tensions among warring parties as the United Nations struggles to implement a peace deal.

Saudi-owned Al Arabiya television said coalition warplanes attacked seven military targets, including al-Dulaimi Air Base, a drones storage site and military training camps.Houthi-run al-Masirah TV said on Sunday that the Western-backed coalition had conducted 24 air strikes on Sanaa since Saturday evening, including four on the air base.

It said non-military targets were also hit, including a plastics factory where al-Masirah said a large fire broke out.

Medical workers and residents told Reuters at least two civilians were killed, and others injured, in the raids which damaged homes.

"The raids were very violent, the likes of which we have not seen for a year," Sanaa resident Arwa Abdul Karim told Reuters. "The house shook so much we thought it would fall on our heads."

The escalation in fighting, which follows a deadly Houthi drone attack last week on a Yemeni government military parade, raises doubts about the chances of a second round of U.N.-sponsored talks this month aimed at ending the nearly four-year war.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
July 24, 2019
US undermining global strategic stability says China

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings