Saudi man ordered to leave US over Texas army base incident

January 9, 2015 01:34
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A Saudi national who prompted a four-hour lockdown at a US Army post in Texas in November when he claimed to have a bomb in his car pleaded guilty to two federal charges on Thursday and agreed to leave the country in a deal to avoid more prison time.

US District Judge Fred Biery agreed not to sentence Mutasim Abdul-Aziz Alati, 24, to prison on condition he leave immediately and not return for the rest of his life.

This was part of a plea bargain that gave him credit for time served. Alati has been in custody since the Nov. 23 incident.

"The only thing you have to do to stay out of trouble in the US is to stay out of the US," Biery told Alati during a hearing on Thursday.

Assistant US Attorney Sarah Wannarka told Biery that, as soon as his family in Saudi Arabia buys him a one-way ticket, Alati will be escorted to the airport and put onto a plane by an FBI agent.

Alati could have faced two years in prison after pleading guilty to federal charges of evading authorities and illegally entering military property.

Prosecutors say Alati showed up at the main entrance to Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio and told military police he had a bomb in his vehicle. This prompted a high-speed chase through the post, located in San Antonio.

He was apprehended and no bomb was found in the car.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 17, 2018
Trump to meet with members of Congress after summit criticism