Scores of migrants feared drowned after boat capsizes in Mediterranean

By REUTERS
June 30, 2017 20:09
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ROME - Around 60 migrants drowned after the rubber dinghy they were traveling in capsized in the Mediterranean, survivors told the International Organization for Migration when they arrived in Italy, the IOM said on Friday.

Eighty survivors were rescued and brought to the southern Italian port of Brindisi, where they said that their boat originally carried around 140 people, IOM spokesman Flavio Di Giacomo said on Twitter.

Di Giacomo tweeted that the dinghy had gone down this week but did not specify on which day. It was not immediately possible to reach him directly.

Italy is the main point of arrival for mostly African migrants to European shores this year, with boats sent out almost daily from lawless Libya.

About 10,000 people have been rescued from flimsy vessels over the past three days, and Italy has taken in 82,000 people so far this year.

On Thursday, the European Commission threw its weight behind a plea by Italy for fellow EU states to allow rescue boats carrying African migrants to dock in their ports to alleviate growing pressure on Rome.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 17, 2018
Iran files suit against U.S. sanctions at World Court

By REUTERS