Shi'ite Yemeni tribesmen capture provincial capital, scores killed

By REUTERS
July 8, 2014 16:53

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

SANAA - Shi'ite Muslim fighters captured one of the main cities in northern Yemen on Tuesday, a local official and residents said, after days of fighting that has killed at least 200 people and puts the Houthi militants within 50 km (31 miles) of Sanaa.

The Houthis said their fight was against rivals loyal to the Islamist Islah party, and they had no intention of attacking the Yemeni capital, just south of the provincial capital of Omran.

The fighting began last week after a June 23 ceasefire collapsed with both sides blaming each other. The Yemeni army and air force then launched attacks on the Houthis.

Officials and medics said that at least 250 people were killed or wounded in the fighting for control of Omran on Tuesday. The fighting has also forced the only hospital in the city of 96,000 people to close down.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 14, 2018
Missing boy near Hayarkon Park

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF