Shmuel Rada, father of slain teen Tair, passes away from cancer at 60

January 15, 2016 12:33


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Shmuel Rada, father of 13-year-old murder victim Tair Rada, passed away Friday afternoon after suffering from terminal cancer. He was 60-years-old.

In December 2006, Tair was found stabbed to death in a bathroom stall at the Nofei Golan school in Katzrin on the Golan Heights. Zadarov, the school custodian, was arrested less than a week later and was found guilty  Rada's murder in September 2010.

He was sentenced by the Nazareth court to life imprisonment plus two years for obstruction of justice. But subsequently, the Supreme Court poured cold water on part of the Nazareth District Court's findings and opened a Pandora's box of disagreements between government forensic experts regarding the evidence, leading the lower court to revisit its judgment.

When it eventually came back with the same conviction, Zadarov appealed again to the Supreme Court to clear his name.

At an October 2014 oral argument, the Supreme Court appeared open to completely overturning his conviction, but did not fully tip its hand. 

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
Britain to stop some aid for Syrian opposition in rebel-held areas