Soccer violence continues outside Tel Aviv courthouse as fans brawl

November 4, 2014 13:40
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The plaza outside the Tel Aviv Magistrate’s Court was the site of a brawl on Tuesday, as fans from rival soccer teams exchanged blows after a remand hearing for fans arrested during a brawl at the Maccabi Tel Aviv – Hapoel Tel Aviv match last night.

During the brawl on Tuesday, three fans were arrested by police, and they are expected to be brought for a remand extension either tonight or tomorrow morning.  

On Monday night, the rivalry match between Maccabi and Hapoel at Bloomfield Stadium was stopped halfway through after it descended into chaos, beginning when a Hapoel fan ran on the pitch and attacked Maccabi midfielder Eran Zahavi.

A total of 12 people were arrested during the brawl on Monday night. They included 35-year-old Elroi Yadai, the fan who jumped on the field and attacked Zahavi. The judge ordered Yadai kept in custody for two days, saying he poses a threat to the public and because of the seriousness of the allegations against him.

After Monday night’s match Justice Minister Tzipi Livni on Tuesday expressed alarm at the level of violence permeating Israeli society, saying “yesterday it happened on the pitch. We saw the ugly violence that is blowing up in our faces in reality."

"The violence is penetrating our squares, our sports, and in the end, our social media networks and our children's lives," she stated.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
Greece exits final bailout successfully