Sri Lanka army chief says threat of Islamist militant attacks contained

By REUTERS
May 10, 2019 18:41
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

Sri Lanka's army commander Mahesh Senanayake said the threat of more Islamist militant attacks had been contained and the security services had dismantled most of the network linked to the Easter Sunday bombings.


Senanayake told Reuters on Friday that investigators had established that the plotters had links to Islamic State, but said the authorities were still trying to establish how deep those contacts were.
"Up to now the investigations do not go beyond many areas, so we don't have to worry about the situation; it is controllable, it is contained," he said.


"We are quietly confident that normalcy is brought back without" any second round of militant attacks.


The attacks in churches and hotels across the Indian Ocean island on April 21 killed more than 250 people, including 42 foreign nationals.


Related Content

Breaking news
August 18, 2019
Avigdor Liberman says his party will sign a vote sharing deal with Gantz

By GIL HOFFMAN

Cookie Settings