Sudan: Air strike earlier this year killed 119

By
May 26, 2009 11:07

Sudan's defense minister has told parliament that the air raids in the eastern desert earlier this year killed 119 people involved in a people smuggling ring. Gen. Abdul-Rahim Hussein didn't say who was behind the twin airstrikes in January and February in the remote mountainous region. The official news agency quoted Hussein late on Monday as saying the attack was still under investigation. Sudanese officials have said they suspect Israel was behind the attacks. Israeli officials have said Sudan is a major supply line for weapons going into the Gaza strip. Hussein said 56 smugglers and 63 people looking to emigrate, namely from Ethiopia and Somalia, were killed in the raids.


Related Content

Breaking news
October 17, 2019
U.N. chief welcomes Turkey pause, 'long way to go' to end Syria crisis

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings