Sudan says South Sudan helped rebels attacking major town

By REUTERS
May 12, 2013 03:36

KHARTOUM - Sudan accused South Sudan of having supported rebels who launched a major assault two weeks ago, warning this could derail recent oil and security agreements between the African neighbors, state media said on Saturday.

The two countries agreed in March to resume cross-border oil flows and end tension that has plagued them since South Sudan's secession in 2011.Since then ties have improved with Sudan receiving last week the first oil exports from the landlocked South, which had shut down its production in January 2012 in a dispute over pipeline fees.

But in a new setback, Sudan's National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) said South Sudan had helped rebels who two weeks ago attacked the central city of Um Rawaba. It was the worst assault since a raid on Khartoum in 2008.


Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2019
Following Epstein suicide: Barr replaces Federal Prison Director

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF

Cookie Settings