Survivors of northeast Congo ethnic attacks recall harrowing scenes

By REUTERS
June 18, 2019 19:05
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A group of machete-wielding assailants descended on Esther Nzale's village in northeastern Congo last Monday at noon, setting houses on fire and hacking to death her husband and others.

"Some people were burned alive inside the houses," Nzale said from a camp for displaced persons more than a dozen kilometers away. "They killed people with machetes and we don't even know what they did with the bodies."
 

Nzale comes from Kpatsi, one of the villages inhabited by Hema herders that was attacked last week by armed men believed to belong to the rival Lendu farming community.



The resurgent violence in Ituri province, long a flashpoint for ethnic tensions in Democratic Republic of Congo's volatile east, has killed at least 161 people since last week and forced more than 300,000 people to flee their homes, according to local officials and the United Nations.



It has also recalled painful memories of the 1999-2007 conflict between Hema and Lendu which resulted in an estimated 50,000 deaths. Among the causes were disputes over grazing rights and political representation.



After that conflict ended, Iturians experienced a decade of relative respite from ethnic violence, even as local militias continued to battle government forces and prey on the local population.



Clashes between Hema and Lendu flared again in late 2017 and early 2018, killing about 300 people before a tenuous calm took hold.



But last week, four Lendu traders were killed in attacks the Lendu blamed on the Hema, which locals say sparked off the latest violence.



Nzale fled with the surviving members of her family. They found shelter under white and blue tarps in a makeshift camp in Ituri's capital city, Bunia.



The 161 bodies found all came from a single mass grave in the neighboring village of Tche. Local officials fear the real death toll is much higher.



"They were all burned down and these hooligans are still there now," said Etienne Kadho, a 59-year-old who had fled from Malili 2, rattling off a list of five villages that were attacked.

"The bodies are lying on the ground and they haven't even thought of burying them."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

July 18, 2019
Trump: U.S. destroyed Iranian drone near Strait of Hormuz

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF, REUTERS

Cookie Settings