Suspect dead, three officers wounded in Kansas City shootouts

July 16, 2018 00:51
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


 Police shot and killed a man on Sunday after a series of shootouts on the streets of Kansas City in which three officers were wounded and hospitalized in stable condition, officials said.

Undercover and tactical officers were following a person of interest in the murder of a university student when suddenly and unexpectedly he fired on them with a rifle, according to police in Kansas City, Missouri.Two of the officers were struck at that time, police said.

"We've been looking for him all week. This was the first time we laid eyes on him," Police Chief Rick Smith told reporters near the scene.

The suspect fled in a vehicle which was found a short time later. During the search that followed the suspect fired on officers again, police said on Twitter. A third officer was hit by gunfire and also in stable condition.

"All right now appear to have non-life-threatening injuries, thank God," Smith said.

A few minutes later, the suspect fled from a home where he had been hiding and again exchanged gunfire with police, whereupon he was shot, taken into custody, and declared dead by the Kansas City Fire Department, police said.

Police were not releasing the dead man's identity, a spokeswoman said.

Officers came across the suspect during their investigation into the robbery and murder of Sharath Koppu, a 25-year-old student from India at the University of Missouri-Kansas City who was shot a week earlier at a Kansas City restaurant. Koppu was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said.

Koppu was a computer engineer who came to the United States in January to pursue his master's degree, according to a cousin who started a GoFundMe account. The fund raised more than $50,000 to repatriate his body to India for last rites.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
July 20, 2019
Massive heat wave bakes central, eastern U.S., with sweaty night ahead


Cookie Settings