Suspected al-Qaida gunmen kill two soldiers in Yemen's oil province

By REUTERS
January 29, 2015 12:59

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ADEN, Yemen - Two Yemeni soldiers were killed and two wounded when they were ambushed while on patrol by suspected al-Qaida militants in the central province of Marib, a regional official said on Thursday.

Marib has most of Yemen's oil and gas fields and has long been a battleground between various factions, including local tribesmen, al- Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) insurgents and other Islamists, and government forces.

Now tribesmen say the province is subject to an advance by Iranian-allied Houthi fighters, who took over the capital Sanaa in September and brought about the collapse of the US-backed government last week.

A CIA drone strike on a car in Yemen killed three suspected al-Qaida militants in Marib on Monday, the first since the Sanaa government stepped down, in a sign such US operations will continue despite the political crisis.

Houthi leader Abdel-Malek al-Houthi said on Tuesday his movement was seeking a peaceful transfer of power after the resignation of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, and urged all Yemeni factions to work together to that end.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 17, 2018
Netanyahu takes credit for Trump leaving Iran Deal

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF