GENEVA- Suspected war criminals in Syria will face justice for gross violations against civilians someday as the evidence against all sides grows, the UN human rights chief said on Thursday.
Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein, speaking on the eve of the fourth anniversary of the start of the conflict, denounced the "bloodlust" of Islamic State forces controlling large parts of Syria and Iraq who have beheaded Western hostages and burned alive a Jordanian pilot.
"We have a massive amount of evidence, there are lists with people's names on them," Zeid told a Geneva audience in a joint interview with UN refugee boss Antonio Guterres by CNN's Christiane Amanpour.
"Justice will be done, it may not be immediate, but hopefully as we go through the transition from total impunity to justice being realized, we will honor the victims and the kin of the victims," he said at the annual event commemorating the late UN Iraq envoy Sergio Vieira de Mello.
A UN commission of inquiry led by Paulo Pinheiro has gathered testimony and evidence, compiling five secret lists of suspects whom it says include Syrian government military and security officials and rebel commanders.
The investigators said last month they plan to publish names of suspects and push for new ways to bring them to justice.