Syrian rebel evacuation from Homs postponed for 2-3 days

By REUTERS
September 20, 2016 10:26
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIRUT - The governor of Homs said late on Monday the planned evacuation of several hundred Syrian rebels from their last foothold in the city would be postponed for several days because it was difficult to guarantee their safe passage.

The evacuation was expected to begin on Monday to Idlib province, part of the Syrian government's attempts to conclude local agreements with rebels in besieged areas to give them safe passage to the insurgent stronghold of Idlib in northwestern Syria.

"When conditions are right, the evacuation of fighters and their families will happen straight away," Homs Governor Talal Barazi said late on Monday.

Barazi said the evacuation in 22 buses of around 300 fighters and their families, around 1,000 people in total, was expected to begin in 2-3 days.

"The postponement is for logistical reasons, to do with the safe arrival of the armed groups who will leave al Waer," Barazi said.

Opposition groups in Syria have said they are against this and other such evacuations. Last month a similar agreement resulted in the effective surrender of the insurgent-held Damascus suburb of Daraya to the government.

An opposition activist in al-Waer, Osama Abu Zaid, told Reuters on Monday a negotiations committee there agreed with the government last year that the United Nations would be present for this evacuation. People refused to evacuate otherwise.

"We have no trust in the regime," Abu Zeid said. "That's why people won't leave."

Overnight the Syrian military declared a one-week truce brokered by the United States and Russia over and Syrian or Russian aircraft struck an aid convoy near Aleppo.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
Ya'alon: A strong society respects difference

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF