Syria's Internet back after eight-hour blackout

By REUTERS
May 15, 2013 19:09

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BEIRUT - Syria's Internet started working again on Wednesday evening, a US web tracking firm said, and residents reported phone lines were back up after an eight-hour blackout left much of the population cut off from the outside world.

Communication networks have been crucial for opposition activists trying to get out videos and information about a two-year conflict that has killed at least 80,000 people, according to a rights group opposed to President Bashar Assad.

"Internet came back at 15:26 UTC (18:26 Damascus time). Duration 8h25m," Renesys said on its Twitter account.

This is the sixth communications blackout of the revolt and web tracking firms say the government is probably responsible. Authorities blamed a blackout last week on a malfunctioning fiber optic cable.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 26, 2018
Report: UN proposals for new talks on Yemen will be supported by UAE

By REUTERS