Top police officer, lawyer Fisher arrested on bribery charges

April 29, 2015 19:01
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Justice Ministry investigators on Wednesday arrested a former top police officer and once prominent Israeli lawyer Ronel Fisher on suspicion of bribery and obstruction of justice.

They and a third suspect appeared in court in Jerusalem on Wednesday night, and the Justice Ministry said they intend to prosecute all three on the alleged offenses.The investigation is tied to a case from last summer, which saw Fisher arrested in July on suspicion of brokering bribes between top police officials and subjects of police investigations, including Ashdod port workers union chief Alon Hassan. Both Hassan and the police officers were clients of Fisher’s and he is suspected of using his connections with both as a scheme to receive bribes. Hassan himself was sent by police with a hidden camera and a wiretap to record Fisher during a bribery attempt before the arrest.

For months the case against Fisher was deadlocked because investigators were unable to get into his phone to retrieve information. It is believed that the breakthrough this week followed police success in cracking the phone’s password.

As of Wednesday evening the name of the senior police officer and the third suspect were still under gag order.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
May 26, 2019
Police arrest three Muslims on Temple Mount for cursing Jews