Turkey criticizes Britain over missing schoolgirls

By REUTERS
February 23, 2015 23:12

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ISTANBUL - Turkey criticized Britain on Monday for taking too long to inform it about three London schoolgirls who traveled to Turkey last week possibly en route to join Islamist militants in Syria.

Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc said he hoped the girls would be found, but that it would be Britain, not Turkey, to blame if they were not.

"It is an condemnable act for Britain to let three girls ... come to Istanbul and then let us know three days later ... They haven't taken the necessary measures," Arinc told reporters after a cabinet meeting.

The three London schoolgirls arrived at Istanbul airport on Feb. 17 and British authorities, concerned that they were traveling to join Islamic State fighters, informed Ankara on Feb. 20, Arinc said.

Turkey was able to do little to track the movements of three people who had entered as tourists, he said.

"The search is ongoing. It would be great if we can find them. But if we can't, it is not us who will be responsible, but the British."

Related Content

Breaking news
August 15, 2018
Natural gas explosion collapses Denver building, people trapped

By REUTERS