Turkish military enters Syria to evacuate soldiers from tomb

By REUTERS
February 22, 2015 07:11

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ANKARA - The Turkish military launched an operation into Syria late on Saturday to evacuate Turkish soldiers guarding the tomb of Suleyman Shah, grandfather of the founder of the Ottoman Empire, two senior Turkish officials told Reuters on Sunday.

The Turkish government said late last year that Islamic State militants were advancing on the mausoleum, which is guarded by several dozen Turkish soldiers.

The tomb was made Turkish territory under a treaty signed with France in 1921, when France ruled Syria. Turkey regards it as sovereign territory and had repeatedly vowed to defend it from any attack by the insurgents.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 18, 2018
U.N. chief suggests options for improved Palestinian protection

By REUTERS