Twelve members of Egypt's security forces killed in Sinai

By REUTERS
October 14, 2016 14:19

CAIRO - Suspected Islamic State gunmen killed 12 members of Egypt's security forces in North Sinai province and injured eight more in an attack on a checkpoint on Friday, medical and security sources said.

The attack took place 40 km (25 miles) away from the town of Bir al-Abd, making it the first major attack in the central Sinai area, which had so far escaped a campaign of Islamist attacks. It was carried out using assault rifles and some heavier weapons, the sources said. The wounded were taken to hospital in el-Arish.


Related Content

Breaking news
September 20, 2019
Trump, Facebook CEO Zuckerberg had 'good, constructive' meeting

By REUTERS