UK mosque bombing suspect also accused of Muslim man's murder

By REUTERS
July 21, 2013 02:55

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

LONDON - A Ukrainian man, detained this week over the bombing of mosques in central England, has also been accused of the murder of an elderly Muslim man stabbed to death on his way home from evening prayers three months ago, police said on Saturday.

The 25-year-old was arrested along with another Ukrainian man, 22, on Thursday on terrorism charges after explosions at two mosques near the city of Birmingham, one in June and the other last week.

Police said the older man was now also accused of killing Mohammed Saleem in the Small Heath area of Birmingham in April. The 75-year-old was stabbed three times in the back as he left his local mosque in what police described as a "swift, vicious attack".

"The murder of Mohammed Saleem now forms part of the wider West Midlands Counter Terrorism Unit Investigation," said Marcus Beale, Assistant Chief Constable of West Midlands Police.

The murder was being treated as an act of terrorism, the police said.

There have been several attacks on Islamic buildings in Britain since the murder of soldier Lee Rigby on a south London street in May stoked community tensions.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 22, 2018
Senior cleric says Iran will target Israel, allies if U.S. attacks

By REUTERS