UN Syria envoy to pursue peace talks next week

By REUTERS
April 21, 2016 22:53

GENEVA - The UN Special Envoy for Syria said on Thursday peace talks would continue next week, despite the main opposition's decision to leave early, which he dismissed as "diplomatic posturing".

Staffan de Mistura, in an interview with French-language Swiss television, said 400,000 people had been killed in the five-year-old war.

"We cannot let this drop," he said. "We have to renew the ceasefire, we have to accelerate humanitarian aid and we are going to ask the countries which are the co-sponsors to meet."


Related Content

Breaking news
May 23, 2018
Saudi-led coalition destroys Houthi boats targeting tanker in Red Sea

By REUTERS