UN fears more cholera in Haiti after storm, says protests slowing relief

By REUTERS
October 19, 2016 06:16

PORT-AU-PRINCE  - The scale of a cholera outbreak in Haiti after Hurricane Matthew may be under-reported because remote areas are cut off, a United Nations official in charge of controlling the disease said on Tuesday, adding protests over slow aid made the problem worse.

David Nabarro, a special advisor to the UN Secretary-General who was previously in charge of the global body's response to the water-borne disease, said he was concerned sick people were not being treated.

He called on donor nations to fund the UN response to the outbreak, a sensitive topic in Haiti because the disease was accidentally introduced to the Caribbean country by UN peacekeepers and has since killed more than 9,000 people.

Some roads in southwestern Haiti remain impassable after this month's storm and rising anger about the slow pace and uneven distribution of aid have led desperate people to barricade roads, and, at times, loot humanitarian convoys.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 22, 2018
Al Shabaab suicide bomber hits Somalia military convoy

By REUTERS