UN investigating reports of 25 killed in South Sudan

By REUTERS
August 7, 2017 17:28
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The United Nations said on Monday it was investigating reports that 25 people had been killed in South Sudan's central Gok state in clashes between two tribal factions.

Thousands of people have already died in South Sudan from a four-year civil war pitting forces loyal to incumbent President Salva Kiir and his former deputy, Riek Machar.

A quarter of the country's population of 12 million has also been uprooted and displaced by the violence that has largely unfolded along ethnic lines.

A UN official in South Sudan's capital Juba, spoke on condition he should not be named, told Reuters they had received reports on Saturday that 25 civilians had been killed and 27 wounded in clashes between Waat and Ayiel, two ethnic groups that are part of South Sudan's Dinka Gok tribe.

He did not say what triggered the clashes, but said they occurred in the state's Cueibet county and that they had also received reports South Sudan's military had been deployed in the area to try to restore order.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 18, 2018
Jerusalem Post closed for Yom Kippur

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF