UNHCR: Woman at center of rape case leaves Libya

By REUTERS
June 7, 2011 15:03

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

GENEVA - A Libyan woman who said she was gang raped by pro-government militiamen has left her homeland again after being deported by Qatar last week, the UN refugee agency said on Tuesday.

Eman Al-Obaidi spent nearly a month in Qatar before authorities there forced her and her parents to board a flight last week to Libya's rebel-held Benghazi in violation of international law, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said.

In March, Obaidi burst into a Tripoli hotel and, weeping, made a plea for help to journalists there, saying she had been held for two days and raped by 15 militiamen loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

The UNHCR said on Tuesday Obaidi was taken to a UN refugee transit center in the western Romanian city of Timisoara, the only one of its kind in Europe.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 21, 2018
More than 100 report sexual misconduct by late Ohio State doctor

By REUTERS