The United States and China will hold a top-level diplomatic and security dialog that was supposed to be held in Beijing in October in Washington on Friday, amid moves to try to resolve a damaging trade war.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, Chinese politburo member Yang Jiechi and Defense Minister Wei Fenghe will take part in the talks, a statement from US State Department said on Monday.China said last month the two sides had initially agreed "in principle" to hold the second round of diplomatic security talks in October but they were postponed at Washington's request amid rising tensions over trade, Taiwan and the South China Sea.
Monday's announcement came after US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping spoke by telephone last week and cheered world markets by expressing optimism about resolving their trade dispute ahead of a high-stakes meeting at the end of November in Argentina.
On Monday, Trump said China wanted to make a deal and added: "If we can make the right deal, a deal that's fair, we'll do that. Otherwise we won’t do it."