US-backed Syrian force rules out Turkey role in Raqqa

By REUTERS
March 9, 2017 15:54
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

BEIRUT - A US-backed alliance of Syrian militias has told US officials that Turkey must have no role in the campaign to capture the city of Raqqa from Islamic State, its spokesman said on Thursday.

"The Turkish side is an occupation force and it cannot be allowed to occupy more Syrian land," Talal Silo, spokesman for the Syrian Democratic Forces, told Reuters. He said the SDF had delivered that message in a meeting with US Senator John McCain and US military officials in northern Syria last month.

Silo also indicated it would be a matter of weeks before the SDF reaches the outskirts of Raqqa, after severing the last main road to the city this week. "We expect that within a few weeks there will be a siege of the city," he said.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 25, 2018
Taliban rejects pleas by Afghan elders for a ceasefire extension

By REUTERS