US court keeps alive lawsuit against Iran for Hizbullah assassination

July 29, 2009 00:50


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A federal appeals court on Tuesday kept alive a wrongful death lawsuit against Iran over Hizbullah's assassination of the former chief of the country's armed forces 25 years ago. According to the US Circuit Court of Appeals in Washington, the lower court applied the wrong law when it dismissed the claims of Gholam Oveissi's grandson, who sued Iran because it funded and directed Hizbullah's activities. Oveissi was a four-star general and chief of Iran's armed forces until early 1979, when revolutionaries deposed the Western-backed shah and established the Islamic republic. Oveissi fled to the United States, then to France, where he took up residence in Paris. His grandson, Amir Oveissi, was born in California but moved in with his grandfather in Paris when he was a few months old. Gholam Oveissi was an outspoken opponent of Iran's revolutionary government and was gunned down while walking on a crowded Paris street on Feb. 17, 1984. Hizbullah claimed responsibility, and Oveissi's family fled France and eventually settled in the US.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2018
UK foreign minister Hunt: Trump not the isolationist many feared