US delays planned return of envoy to Syria

By REUTERS
November 21, 2011 20:59

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

WASHINGTON - The US ambassador to Syria will not return to Damascus this week as previously planned but is expected to go back there by the end of the year, US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said on Monday.

Ambassador Robert Ford had been due to return to the Syrian capital by Thursday's US Thanksgiving holiday.

Nuland told reporters that several factors played into the decision for Ford not to return now. These included: events on the ground in Syria, where a lethal government crackdown against protesters continues; the decision of other nations to bring their ambassadors home; and the question of whether he could be effective and move around upon his return, Nuland said.

She said that as of now, it is expected that Ford will return to Damascus by the end if this year.

The United States last month pulled Ford out of Syria, citing threats to his safety. Ford had antagonized Syria's government with his high-profile support for demonstrators trying to end 41 years of Assad family rule. Assad supporters had attacked the US embassy and Ford's convoy in recent months.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 18, 2018
Democrat Gillum concedes Florida governor's race, congratulates DeSantis

By REUTERS