US refrains from commenting on Al-Qaida truce offer

By AP, JPOST.COM STAFF
August 3, 2009 23:00

The United States on Monday refrained from commenting on a truce offer by Al-Qaida and boasted of success in Afghanistan. US State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley told reporters Monday that the United States believes it has "turned a tide" in the struggle against extremists. He spoke of success in Afghanistan, "difficult as it is," and "meaningful steps" by the Pakistani government against al-Qaida and others. "This is not a struggle that al-Qaida is destined to win," Crowley said. "As to a truce, I have no further comment." Earlier on Monday, al-Qaida's deputy leader Ayman al-Zawahri said "fair" truces offered by the terror group to Europe and the US were still valid.


Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2019
New Zealand lawmakers urged to drop restrictions on Africa, Middle East refugees

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings