US sends 4 more Guantanamo inmates to other countries

By REUTERS
January 19, 2017 22:24

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Pentagon sent four more detainees from the Guantanamo military prison to other countries on Thursday, a US official said, in President Barack Obama's final prisoner transfers before he leaves office.

With Donald Trump due to be sworn in as president on Friday and vowing to keep the prison open, the Obama administration further whittled down the inmate population there to 41. That was still far short of fulfilling Obama's longtime pledge to close the controversial facility at the US naval base in Cuba.

The U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, declined to say which countries accepted the four detainees. But other officials had earlier said the United Arab Emirates would be among the places where the final transfers would go. Saudi Arabia and Oman have taken 14 detainees in recent weeks.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 17, 2018
U.S. says no rebuilding funds for Syria until peace talks underway

By REUTERS