US sources: No basis yet to probe 9/11 hack claim

By REUTERS
July 18, 2011 23:39

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

LONDON - There is no basis so far for police in New York to open an investigation into claims that any of Rupert Murdoch's media outlets tried to hack into the voice mail accounts of victims of the Sept. 11 attacks, a US law enforcement official said on Monday.

London's Daily Mirror reported last week on a purported attempt by reporters from Murdoch's defunct News of the World to hire an ex-New York policeman to hack into the voice mails.

But some US officials are questioning whether any corroboration will ever be found to substantiate the claim. "My guess is there's no there there," said a law enforcement official familiar with the New York Police Department's view.

Two other law enforcement officials, also speaking on the condition that they not be identified, said no new evidence had emerged to back up the claim.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 17, 2018
CIA concludes: Saudi crown prince ordered journalist's killing

By REUTERS