U.S. to withdraw remaining diplomatic staff from Venezuela

It is not yet clear when the personnel will be withdrawn from the embassy in Caracas.

By REUTERS
March 12, 2019 06:43
Not a Yankee

A man holds up a placard during a protest of civil organizations in support of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro's government, in Mexico City, Mexico August 12, 2017. The Placard reads: " ! Yes to Venezuela! and Not, Yankee! ".. (photo credit: GINNETTE RIQUELME/ REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

March 11 - The United States is to withdraw all remaining diplomatic personnel from Venezuela this week, the US State Department announced late on Thursday.

"Like the January 24 decision to withdraw all dependents and reduce embassy staff to a minimum, this decision reflects the deteriorating situation in Venezuela as well as the conclusion that the presence of US diplomatic staff at the embassy has become a constraint on US policy," the State Department said.

It did not say on what day the personnel would be withdrawn from the embassy in Caracas.

The South American nation has been in the throes of political unrest for months over its contested presidential election.

Venezuela is suspending school and business activities on Tuesday amid a continuing power blackout, Information Minister Jorge Rodriguez said in a televised broadcast on Monday.

It is the third such cancellation since power went out last week.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

July 21, 2019
Jewish historian accuses three German MPs of countering anti-BDS act

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL

Cookie Settings