Ukraine, rebels trade blame over shelling of central Donetsk

By REUTERS
July 19, 2015 15:17
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

DONETSK, Ukraine - The Ukrainian military and pro-Russian separatists accused each other on Sunday of shelling residential districts of separatist-held Donetsk overnight, the first attack on central parts of the city since a February ceasefire agreement.

Late on Saturday, rebels said the attacks had killed one civilian, destroyed buildings and started several fires in the city.

More than 6,500 people have been killed since the conflict broke out in eastern Ukraine in April last year. Attacks have lessened since a peace agreement was brokered in Minsk, Belarus, five months ago, but both sides accuse each other of violations.

Ukrainian military observers said they witnessed rebel missile systems "turned towards Donetsk, shelling residential areas of Donetsk, then turning and starting to fire in the direction of Ukrainian positions," Ukrainian General Andriy Taran said in a televised briefing.

Military spokesman Serhiy Galushko said the army had intercepted rebel radio traffic that also suggested separatists planned to shell the city.

Senior rebel commander Eduard Basurin denied separatists were responsible for the attacks.

"Last time the center of Donetsk was hit was in February...I have no explanation. The Ukrainian side says we shelled ourselves. Do you believe we can shell ourselves?," he told Reuters by phone.

The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), which is monitoring the ceasefire, has said neither side has fully withdrawn heavy artillery from the frontline as required by the peace deal.

The Ukrainian military said one serviceman had been killed and seven wounded in separatist attacks in the past 24 hours.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 24, 2018
Trump calls for deporting illegal immigrants with no judges or court cases

By REUTERS