Unsafe conditions scuttle release of UN peacekeepers

By REUTERS
March 8, 2013 23:38

UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations had arranged for the release of 21 peacekeepers seized by Syrian rebels earlier this week but had to call off the handover due to what it determined were unsafe conditions, a UN peacekeeping spokeswoman said on Friday.

"Arrangements were made with all parties for the release of the 21 peacekeepers," the spokeswoman said. "UNDOF dispatched a team to the location but due to the late hour and the darkness it was considered unsafe to continue the operation. Efforts will continue tomorrow."The peacekeepers are part of the UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF), which has been monitoring a ceasefire line between Syria and Israel on the Golan Heights since 1974.


Related Content

Breaking news
October 22, 2019
Trudeau's Liberals to form Canadian minority government -CBC

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings