Venezuelan president declares victory in 'terrorist attack', says insurrection is US funded

By REUTERS
August 7, 2017 02:40
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

President Nicolas Maduro on Sunday told supporters the country's military had suppressed a "terrorist attack" at a military base in the country, adding that US and Colombian funds were used to finance the move against authorities.

The small rebellion reportedly took place at a military base near the city of Valencia. Seven men were arrested in what the government is calling a "terrorist attack" against the government of unpopular President Nicolas Maduro.

During his weekly TV programme, Maduro said a military deserter was amongst those involved and that weapons were stolen from the base.

Earlier on Sunday a video circulated on social media showing a group of men in military uniform announcing an uprising in the wake of the creation of a pro-government legislative superbody, which was widely condemned as a power grab. Maduro has demanded those behind the attack to face maximum prison sentences.

Protesters took to the streets in support of the military insurrection, calling for other army units to rise up against the president. Venezuelans view the armed forces as the key power broker in their country, and opposition leaders have repeatedly exhorted the military to break with Maduro over what they call his erosion of democracy and brutality toward demonstrators.

Since April more than 120 people have been killed in unrest as rock-throwing protesters were met by state security forces firing rubber bullets and water cannon.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 22, 2018
Netanyahu and Kushner begin meeting, U.S. peace plan to be discussed

By JPOST.COM STAFF