Warring Yemen forces quit Sanaa, 2 troops die in south

By REUTERS
December 17, 2011 19:03

SANAA - Forces loyal to outgoing President Ali Abdullah Saleh and his opponents withdrew from their positions in the capital Sanaa on Saturday, witnesses and officials said, in a further sign a peace deal signed last month was being implemented.

In southern Yemen, two government soldiers were killed in a clash with Islamist militants, medical sources said, as insurgents linked to al-Qaida challenged the peace accord aimed at pulling the country away from civil war.

Witnesses said a military committee set up under the Gulf peace deal signed in Saudi Arabia last month oversaw the dismantling of military positions that have divided the capital since protests against Saleh's 33-year rule began in January.

They said armored bulldozers removed barricades from Sixty Street which split the capital into a dissident-controlled north and Saleh-ruled south under the military's supervision.

Military trucks were seen carrying armored vehicles from the base of a brigade led by dissident General Ali Mohsen outside Sanaa.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 23, 2018
Saudi pledges 'measurable' oil supply boost as OPEC, Russia agree deal

By REUTERS