Washington state high school student arrested after threatening school shooting

December 19, 2015 09:18
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


SEATTLE - A Seattle-area high school student has been arrested on suspicion of planning to "shoot up the school," authorities said on Friday.

The 17-year-old Shorewood High School student was arrested on Thursday evening at his job in Lynnwood, about 16 miles (26 km) north of Seattle, after a parent notified the school of rumors circulating among students of a possible attack.

The arrest comes at a time of national debate over how the United States can curb mass shootings in public places, including schools.

Police in Shoreline found that the teen told a select number of students not to go to school, apparently on Friday, because he had planned on "shooting up the school tomorrow," police said the teen told the other students.

He had also posted a message on social media app Snapchat in which he said "Goodbye 'SW'" - which police took to mean Shorewood High School.

Police declined to provide more details on the case or name the student, who was booked into the Youth Services Center on suspicion of felony threats.

He was released into the custody of his grandparents after an initial court appearance on Friday afternoon, police said.

The school did not immediately respond to a request for comment. An attorney for the student could not immediately be identified.

Related Content

Breaking news
June 25, 2018
U.S. to send FBI experts to investigate Ethiopia blast