Would-be suicide-bomber added to list of Palestinian women to be freed

Would-be suicide-bomber

By
October 1, 2009 18:51
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Israel will add a would-be suicide bomber to the list of 20 Palestinian female prisoners who will be released on Friday in exchange for a videotape featuring Gilad Schalit, following an objection from Hamas. Hamas said one of the prisoners released this week, 15-year-old Bra'a al-Malaki of the West Bank, who tried to stab a soldier at a checkpoint in 2008, appeared on the original list of women to be released in the deal, despite having served out her prison sentence. Al-Malaki was released on Wednesday. As a result, Israel added 32-year-old Ruda Ibrahim Yunes Habib, of Gaza, convicted of attempting to infiltrate Israel from the Strip on a suicide bomb mission, to the list. Habib, a mother of four, was arrested on May 20, 2007, at the Erez crossing on the Israel-Gaza border together with her 39-year-old cousin Fatma Zek, following intelligence from the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet). The Shin Bet learned that Habib and Zek planned to meet a terrorist operative from Ramallah inside Israel who, according to the plan, would provide them with suicide bomb belts. Zek, a mother of nine, will also be released on Friday, together with her two-year-old son who was born in prison. In an interview with Maariv, Zek expressed surprise that she appeared on the list of prisoners who will walk away from jail. Earlier on Thursday, Red Cross officials arrived at the Sharon prison to meet with the Palestinian prisoners who will be set free on Friday. The officials said they met with the women in order to see whether they had "any special requests or fears ahead of their release." The officials added they were asked to make the visit by Israeli authorities.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 17, 2018
Egyptian delegation left the Gaza Strip

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF